This marker is located at the end of Maple Street.
Visit the marker using Google Street View.
THE DOXSEE CLAM FACTORY
Once upon a time on Long Island the quahog or hard clam was the most common form of seafood served on local tables. Before refrigerated railroad cars were introduced, shell fish could not be shipped any great distance, as could cod, mackerel, and other species of fin fishes which would first be cleaned then packed tightly in chopped ice. Freezing en-route did not harm but often improved the finfish, whereas the freezing of clams and oysters made them unpalatable.
As hard clams were taken in great quantities all year long, except when beds were frozen over, the demand of nearby markets were filled with a very small part of the total catch, the surplus provided a very cheap diet for most Island homes. It was a rare menu indeed that did not contain clams in one form or another, including on-the-half shell, chowder, steamed, baked, frittered or stewed.
It took an Islip man, named John Harvey Doxsee, who owned and conducted a canning plant for corn and tomatoes on the east side of Orowoc Brook in that village, to first solve the problem of shipping quahogs.
As early as 1876 he began experimenting with the clams which were especially abundant in the waters of the Great South Bay. The following year he shipped to all parts of the country then reached by train or vessel: a considerable quantity of canned clams.
During the season of 1873, according to historian Richard M. Bayle, he shipped six thousand bushels of hard clams in table size cans, 400 bushels of tomatoes and the yield of ten acres of corn.
The same year Mr. Doxsee astonished the housewives and restaurants of the country by putting on the market a new canned product in two pound containers, which he labeled "American Lunch Fish" consisting of common bunkers, whose numerous bones had been crushed to an edible degree. The Doxsee‘s canned 30,000 bunker that year. But it was with his canned clams that Doxsee made his greatest success and founded a business that has since spread throughout the nation from its simple beginnings.
In 1876 he built a canning factory to handle the volume of business. In 1893, a large addition was added to J. Doxsee & Sons clam factory, in order to meet the market demand they had created. The new part of the factory was 30 x 30 feet and two-stories high, and enabled the Doxsee’s to carry on their extensive business in this line. In 1905, the business moved to North Carolina, which was extensively covered by the local papers, and certainly felt in the local economy. The factory was subsequently moved to Florida.
 Patchoque Advance April 1, 1893